Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why should I recycle mercury-containing products?

Mercury is very toxic and can impact human and ecosystem health. By recycling products that contain mercury, you can help reduce the amount of mercury entering the environment.

2. Is there a fee for recycling mercury-containing products?

There is no cost for residents and small businesses to recycle mercury-containing products in the Region of Peel.

3. If this service is free, who pays for it?

This project is funded by Region of Peel and the Ontario Trillium Foundation.

4. How are mercury-containing products recycled?

Products that contain mercury are disassembled and the mercury-containing component is sent to a US facility to undergo a process called retort. The products are ground down and placed in an industrial oven where they are heated to a high temperature. The mercury is evaporated and captured in a separate container when it is cooled and distilled. Most mercury goes into long term storage, but some is used to manufacture new products like compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).

5. Do I need to remove the mercury from the product before I drop it off for recycling?

No. Please keep mercury-containing products intact when dropping them off for recycling. For safety reasons, do not attempt to remove mercury yourself.

6. Mercury has spilled in my home, what should I do?

In the event of a spill, follow the Environment and Climate Change Canada guidelines for cleaning up small mercury spills.

7. I‘m unfamiliar with which products may contain mercury. Would I have some of these products in my home or business?

Mercury-containing products are quite common. Please visit the Mercury Identification page to see a comprehensive list of mercury-containing products.

8. I have found a mercury-containing product in my home that I would like to dispose of. Now what?

Please bring any mercury-containing products you may have to any of the Region of Peel’s household hazardous waste depots.